Patients are normally referred to Veterinary Specialty Hospital by their family veterinarian. Typically your family veterinarian will send VSH a referral form. The form will describe your pet’s problem and identify the appropriate specialty department to see your pet.
To schedule your appointment for your initial visit,
call San Diego (858) 875-7500 or San Marcos (760) 466-0600
When you set your appointment, you will receive an explanation of initial exam fees. The need for additional testing and treatments may not be known prior to examination, so it may not be possible to estimate all of the costs in advance. Once the doctor examines your pet, you will receive an assessment of your pet's treatment options, plans and estimated cost.
Prior to your Initial Visit
We recommend that you download and complete the Client Information Form. Please bring it to your appointment.
On the day of your Initial Visit
- Be sure to bring all relevant information including the Client Information Form, the Referral Form filled out by your veterinarian, x-rays, blood test results, diet or medicines your pet is taking.
- Please arrive 20 minutes early to complete information for your pet medical record.
- Please have your pet controlled on a leash or in a carrier.
- In cases of surgery and major procedures, and as directed, please do not feed your pet for 12 hours prior to your appointment (except for very young animals, animals with diabetes or when directed otherwise). However, you may give water.
- Continue your pet's normal medication schedule and bring all medications with you.
- If you are unable to keep your appointment, please give us a 24-hour notice. We will be happy to reschedule.
When You Arrive
After you check in with the receptionist, the doctor and technician will meet with you and your pet to perform a physical exam, obtain a complete medical history, and evaluate your pet's condition. The doctor may also perform additional examinations or diagnostics in one of our diagnostic areas.
At this point, our team will put together an assessment of your pet's treatment options, plans and costs. The doctor and technicians will discuss this assessment with you, and together you will agree to a treatment plan for your pet.
Payment is required at the time services are provided. Cash, check, debit card, MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Discover Card are accepted forms of payment. Care Credit and Wells Fargo Health Advantage are other payment options.
A deposit in the amount of the minimum treatment plan, will be required if your pet is staying at the hospital for evaluation or treatment. Also, a deposit may be required before performing additional tests or treatments.
We realize that the cost of care for your pet, may be a concern. If you would like more information about this topic, click here.